Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Man Room

My husband wants a man room. Let me explain, as this might sound, a little weird. My husband drools at the thought of a room, all to himself. One tucked away in the basement with ugly, comfortable chairs, a stocked mini-fridge and a tv. A tv dedicated to non-stop sports and ESPN. He says that one day, he wants a room to himself, away from it all (read: me) where he can relax. He says he needs a room because I have "the whole house". Huh? We share a bedroom with our 9-month old, I am still nursing, I have NO personal space. He then counters with "well, you got to decorate every room, so they're yours". I didn't know a mish-mash of cheap Ikea furniture counted as "decorating". But if so, I'm awesome. My husband wants a room where guys can hang out. Here's the thing about guys hanging out, NOTHING happens. Listening to two dudes talk and hang out is about exciting as watching a sponge dry. Listen, I love my husband and I truly believe he is, maybe, the smartest person I know. Name a country and he can tell you their current leader, the ruling party's history, and their current economic situation. He is a smart guy. He is a smart guy who doesn't seem smart when hanging out with other dudes. Why? Because guys don't seem smart when they're around one another. Their conversations are sparse and mono-syllabic, but there is a comfort they find in that. Less is more and men just like to feel at ease with not having to fill every available second with the spoken word. It is kind of nice. I don't know why my husband needs a separate room for this, but wait, yes I do. If I had to live with a woman who liked to talk as much as I do, I would want a separate room to vegetate in, as well. I just wonder what this house will sound like in 10 years when the boys want to hang out with Dad and Mom is wandering around to all of the rooms looking for someone to talk about the latest study on vitamin D with...

2 comments:

  1. Shoot. Straight Dude "hangout talk" cracks me up. When I'm in the situation, I never know if it's for real. Like, maybe it's some joke that I'm just not in on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a joke that nobody is in on. I ask Howie every week when he comes back from poker, "what did you guys talk about?". His response is always, "uh...nothing really". And you know what? Even after spending 3 hours together, they really didn't talk about anything!

    ReplyDelete

I only ask that you keep it clean, nice and respectful.